Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Earthquake in Ottawa? What earthquake?

It's always interesting when an earthquake has come and gone without you knowing it ever happened. It came to my notice when a friend of mine currently in Tokyo asked me about it. With the way the news media is nowadays, it is often that someone on the other side of the globe knows more about the happenings in one's neighbourhood than someone living here.

Apparently it happened at 8.39 pm on February 24 and registered 4.5 on the Richter scale. I was at Mont Tremblant at the time and felt none of the trembling, even though the epicentre was somewhere between Ottawa and where I was. Close to Thurso actually, where that horrible pulp and paper factory is. It appeared to be operating fine as I was passing by it on the way home on Sunday. The unmistakable odour was as pungent as usual.

According to news reports, someone living a couple of blocks from my place in Centretown actually reported, "The whole house was shaking violently," she said. "It started around 8:40 and lasted a good two minutes ... at least a minute ... we were all holding on to the dishes." Well, when I got home, there were no signs anything had moved an inch.

No comments: