Friday, June 03, 2005

Parts of 417 between Ottawa and Montreal reduced to 1 lane

I discovered today that parts of the 417 between Ottawa and Montreal are reduced to 1-lane each way due to construction. Basically, while the 2-lane section going one direction is closed to traffic, the traffic is redirected to share the 2-lane highway normally going the other direction. Vertical pylons are placed in between the two lanes (now going opposite directions) in order to prevent overtaking. It's smooth going unless there is an accident but there will always be one car which will slow to 85 kph (the speed limit in the construction zone is 80 kph), even though I personally feel safe up to 100 kph. I have no idea when the construction will end.

There was in fact an accident that caused a jam on the way to Montreal this morning, and despite the fact that I had no map with me, I decided to follow a UPS van off the highway onto the side road which turned out (fortunately) to be a rather convenient bypass of the construction as well as the accident.

No comments: